I run ultra marathons. This profiles my race reports and training runs. The good and the bad.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Update

I am now back to training and trying to increase my mileage as quick as I can. After I recovered from my foot surgery, I pulled my hamstring really bad. It is now healed. I was able to run during the healing process, but it was limited.

I did a local trail marathon that is one of my favorite races of the year after about four training runs. My hamstring tweaked at mile 8, but I was determined to finish the race. I even came in right around the time I thought I was going to. I finished in 4:43. Was happy with this time, especially with the limited training I was able to do.

I am working on acclimating myself to the heat ,so the week after the marathon I got in two 7 mile runs during the week and a 10 mile run on Sunday. Last week on Monday I did a 8 mile run and Tuesday I got in a 7 mile run. The rest of the week was a bust, got very busy. This weekend I tried to make up for it and Saturday I did 15 miles and today I did 12 miles.

It is coming along, but I have lost some stamina in my legs. It might just be mental, but I believe I lost some muscle while recovering. I did a lot of air squats and other exercises in training to try to strengthen them while recovering, but I don't think it was quite like being able to run on them.

Personal training is going really well. A couple of weeks ago I increased to four days a week. I did not think I would notice, but it is very noticable. I go Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday morning. That Friday night to saturday morning is tough, I get about 14 hours rest between the two workouts. My hope and prayer that it make a difference in races other than just running and training.

This is what articles say other people who train for similar events do, so it must be benificial. Cross training is very important to strengthen core and all other areas of your body to endure the wear and tear a race will put on it. I have been able to recover more quickly from big races since I started this.

If next week doesn't get crazy, I should be able to get three runs during the week in and increase my weekend runs. That is the plan anyway. I am such an inpatient person, it is hard to increase miles slowly. My body lets me know what I can do and reminds me I am not Superman. Have to play it smart.    

No comments:

Post a Comment