I run ultra marathons. This profiles my race reports and training runs. The good and the bad.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Commute

Some of you already know, but for those of you starting to follow me I commute to work three to four days a week to work. I thought with the gas prices going up and the weather getting nicer, what better way to get in a chunk of my weekly mileage than to do it commuting to work. I live 5.25 miles from my employer.

I am thrilled to get in 10.5 miles a day when I run to work. It takes a little bit of planning to make it work though. I have to take extra clothes and food for lunches. I still haven't got it all figured out yet, but I am close.

I am scaling back a little this week, because of the race this Saturday. I am not a huge fan of tapering. Well this morning I left the house ten minutes later than I usually do, so I had to push it harder than I like to run. As a ultra marathoner, my sweet spot is around a 10:30 minute mile. I had to average a 9:00 minute mile in order to have time to cool down to change into my work clothes.

At two miles into my run only around 15 minutes had gone by. Then I slowed the pace knowing I was going to have plenty of time. I also had a 20+ mph wind behind me that helped push me along. Then I had to run into the same wind on the way back home. All in all it went well.

Went out in 45:41 and home in 47:55 with a total of 10.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment