I run ultra marathons. This profiles my race reports and training runs. The good and the bad.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Night Run/Trail

My friend Scott asked me if I would like to join him and a few others on a run starting at 2:00 a.m. and run till around 5:30. I jumped at the opportunity. Scott is someone I really look up to in the running world. He wins races he enters, but he is the most humble person I know. More than that, he gives back to the sport by coaching a Team in Training group.

We started a few minutes after 2:00 and Scott mapped out a 3/4 mile loop that we ran. The idea of it is that if you needed a break you could just pick everyone up on the next loop or walk in the opposite direction and pick everyone up that way. It worked great.

Everyone traded stories and the best thing was, that most of them were not related to running. Scott had a great refrigerator story, so did Adam, but I did not get to hear that one, because I took a break to fill my water bottle.

Adam gave Scott some pointers about running Leadville. The best advice he gave him is be careful of the elevation. The race itself is not that difficult. Adam said he DNF'd both times he attempted it. Being from Kansas it is a huge disadvantage for us doing higher elavation races.

I cut out at 5:30ish and hung out for a few minutes until Scott and a few others were meeting the TNT group for a training run. I came home and took a nap. Got up around 1:00 and headed back out to finish the miles I needed for today.

I ended up getting 21 miles in about 3:30.

I got ready and Patsy headed out with me. We ran around 2 1/2 miles together and she said that she wasn't going to go much farther before she was going to turn around and head home. I took off and got to the 4 mile mark and started back home.

I had went through over half of my two bottles by that point. I knew that it was not going to be a fun time getting back home. The temp had to be aroung 95 by then. I was three miles from home and I had around 18 oz. of Infinit left.

I could conserve it and make it last till close to the end, or drink it all at once and not have any fluids for the remainder of the run. I conserved it. I got home and drank two quarts of water and jumped into a cold shower.

I ran 8 miles in 1:50:35.

2 comments:

  1. You are an animal...very social...but an animal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark!! I had a great time with Scott and Adam. Two weeks in a row doing a night run. Great experience for 100 mile training. Happy training. Enjoy your time at your 50 miler in CO.

    ReplyDelete