I run ultra marathons. This profiles my race reports and training runs. The good and the bad.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thunderbird Lake Relay for Life Run

I went up to Norman, OK to participate in a fun raiser for cancer run for friends I met at Ozark Trail 100 race this last November Eddie Spencer and Rex Pace. I had been fighting a sinus infection all week as you know through past post. The antibiotic I am taking really upsets my stomach.

We left about an hour before we was to start the run and the GPS got us clear on the other side of the lake from where we needed to be. I called Eddie noticing I had a missed call from him anyway letting him know where we was and he and Rex gave us good directions and we finally got there about 5 minutes before it started.

In the car on the way, I was trying to get my bottles ready and I opened the new bag of Infinit Nutrition and low and behold, they forgot to put in a measuring cup. I seem to always have a small disaster when I go to races lately. So I did my best to guess on how much to put into each bottle and then I added the water and tasted it to try to get it at the right mix. In the process, I got it all over my lap.

My stomach felt great at the beginning of the run and around 12 miles into the 15.5 mile loop, it went all the way south. It was around 92 degrees and with the trails being in the trees, it was a sauna in there. I was able to stay hydrated just fine. The problem I had was the antibiotic acted up my stomach something fierce.

The trails were pretty cool. They mainly get mountain bike traffic rather than runners. There are a number of wood ladders built into the trails were not runnable, but a mountain bike could get down them pretty easily. Seen a couple of turtles and a pygmy rattlesnake that was coiled ready to strike at us, pretty scary I must say.

It was a 10k, 25k and a 50k run. I had all intentions of doing the 50k distance, but I ended up only doing one lap which was the 25k distance due to my stomach issues. I had an absolute blast out there. They were grilling burgers and dogs, but my stomach was in no shape to eat anything. I was really bummed, because it all looked so good.

After hanging out and talking for an hour or so after I got done running, we headed back to Wichita and by the time we got to Stillwater I was ready to eat. There was a great BBQ place at a truck stop there that was really good. I didn't care for the baked beans though. The pulled pork sandwich I had was really big.

Only doing the one loop got us home at a real descent time, so we were able to chill up and relax the rest of the day.

I ran 15.5 miles in 3:49:36. 

No comments:

Post a Comment