I run ultra marathons. This profiles my race reports and training runs. The good and the bad.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day training run

Got up early and got prepared to go for a long training run. I would prefer to do it on the trail, but the longer runs are not easy to get aid back there, so I limit the trail to 12 mile or less training runs, because I can carry all the aid I need for that distance.

I went for an adventure around Wichita. I did the first 20 miles in 3 1/2 hours and 30 miles in 5 1/2 hours. I was on a pretty good pace for me. I decided to cut the run short and just get to the pool. I ended up doing a little over 34 miles, then lounged at the pool for an hour and a half or so, then went home.

I decided to suit back up and finish what I had originally was going to do which was 40 miles today. I decided to go back out on the trail this time. stayed pretty close to home though, so I was getting creative as to what trails I went down and zig zagged through another, it was quite fun just going out to just get a little under 6 miles.

Ran into a weird old man a couple of times. He just stared at me as I went by. said hello to him, but no reply. Then I think I scared a couple of teenage boys hanging out next to their motorcycles. They wasn't sure what to think of me and why I would be back there running.

It was still very hot at 5:30 when I went back out. The wind had died down and the bugs were thick. Was glad that I was not going to be back there more than an hour. As much as I run back on the trail, I know the distances in different areas real well. After I goofed around for a while, I got to a distance where I knew I could just do a particular route and it would come out to the 40 miles I wanted today.

Even though this was split into two runs, I was able to stay at 5 miles in 1 hour which is what I try to shoot for with breaks when training. I was very happy I was able to accomplish this.

I ran 40 miles in 8:00:23.

No comments:

Post a Comment