I run ultra marathons. This profiles my race reports and training runs. The good and the bad.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

First week of 100 mile training plan

I am ramping up my training for the 100 miler(s) I plan to do this Fall. I took the training plan I did last year and I added 20 miles a week to it. To make it easy to figure out where to put the miles, I just added 4 miles to each run a week.

I Don't run on Monday's and Fridays. I went to the Y Monday and did a core class and then went to the pool and did a leg workout. Trying something different that a fellow ultra running friend (Farhad)suggested.

Today I went to the Y and did another core class and then jumped on the treadmill and did 8 miles. The first 6.5 I did at a 7:30 minute mile pace. Then I slowed to a 7:00 minute mile pace for a half mile. The last mile I used for hill work. Put the treadmill on a 7.0 incline and put it at a 15:00 minute mile pace for .2 of a mile then ran at a 10:00 minute mile pace for .2 and repeated that all through the last mile.

This was a lot of fun to mix up the run like this, it breaks the monotony. I am pacing a friend I have met in the ultra world from Omaha, Ne (Mark Berry)that is doing Black Hills 100 and I volunteered to pace him the last 50 miles. I fell that some hill work will be worth while if I am going to push him in to the finish.

I finished the 8 miles in 1:07:48

No comments:

Post a Comment