I run ultra marathons. This profiles my race reports and training runs. The good and the bad.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Session 4 with a long training run

Session 4 was rescheduled from Thursday to Saturday afternoon. We were indoors the whole session this time. So our warm-up laps and then Marquis came on to the track and told us to try to catch him. Neither one of us did of course. We went around the track 6 times.

Then we went into the training room and he had us do regular push-ups and every once in a while he would tell us to hold it half way down, then resume push ups. Then he had us turn over and do flutter kicks till he said stop and this repeated 4 times. While I was doing the flutter kicks, he was taking a 16 pound medicine ball and bouncing it on my stomach. Not a really great feeling.

We then went to burpees for two minute at a time. Then he had me hold a 35lb weight and do squats at different rates of speed, some slow and controlled, some as fast as I could go.  He wanted them parallel to the floor. We repeated that 4 or 5 times and then he had us do burpees for two minutes straight at the end of that routine.

He gave me a 25lb plate and said do bicep curls then, chest presses and then overhead presses. This was timed for each exercise. Then we went out on the track and sprinted 2 laps and came back and did that all again 3 times.

He said it was time for some core work. I had to do incline sit ups while Patsy sprinted 1 lap and then while she did the incline sit ups, I had to sprint 2 laps. We did that twice and then he had me turn around and do reverse sit ups with a lift on an incline. I did them while Patsy sprinted a lap and she did them while I sprinted 2 laps and we did this for two sets also.

I came home and crashed. I showered and fell asleep and slept 2:30 hours. I woke up and had a horrible pain in my back. I then remembered personal training with my friend BJ that I tweaked a muscle in my back doing the chest presses and I believe that is what did it this time too.

We ended the session with holding the squat position against the wall and they were really tough for me. My quads were screaming at me 20 seconds after we started. I believe that he had us hold them for a minute each time and we did them 3 times. He would put weight in our lap every once in a while.  When I wasn't holding the weight, I had to hold my arms straight out shoulder height.  If I wanted to rest, he put the 16 pound medicine ball on my legs.  The price for resting your arms.

I decided not to run Saturday due to the back pain. I got up with Patsy Sunday morning to go run with her and her best friend Sheila for 10 miles and then I was going to do 12 more to get in the miles I needed for the week. We started a little after 5:00.

We got around 2.5 miles into the run and I was feeling really good and I was pulling away from them, but not intentually. I thought it would be best if I just broke away and finished my 22 miles on my own. So I told them I was going to go on and off I went.

As long as I kept running, my back didn't bother me. The minute I stopped to walk, it would give me fits. I did not have much of a problem holding a pretty decent pace most of the time. If I got tired, I just slowed my pace a bit.

I ran 22 miles in 4:12:00. 

No comments:

Post a Comment